What we do

Broadly, the VTS arranges hearing days, sets up Tribunal panels, manages case lists and appeals and issues statutory notices.

We also arrange the specialist clerks to give advice to lay (volunteer) panels and the parties on practice, procedure and any legal issues.

Our Clerks are also responsible for drafting the reasoned decisions arrived at by the panels, sending these to the panels for their approval and issuing the final decisions to the relevant parties.

Our remit

By law, the Valuation Tribunal can look at appeals about

  • the council tax band of a residential property (its ‘valuation’)
  • whether you should be paying council tax (your ‘liability’)
  • how much council tax you pay (your entitlement to a reduction)
  • whether the date shown on a completion notice for your property is correct
  • the rateable value on your business premises
  • an invalidity notice issued by a valuation or listing officer
  • a penalty notice you have received for failing to provide certain information

If you have a drainage rates appeal, please contact our office and a member of staff will be able to help you.

What we cannot do

The Tribunal is independent and can only do what the law gives it the power to do.  It must be fair and impartial to both sides involved in appeals.  The Tribunal cannot:

  • change the law. The Tribunal has to apply the law as it stands, even if that leads to an outcome that you think is unfair
  • take into account whether you can pay your council tax or non-domestic rates demand
  • hear appeals about why you have not paid your council tax bill
  • award costs
  • advise you whether you have a case
  • give an opinion about whether you are likely to win or lose your appeal
  • advise you if you should appeal or not
  • help you prepare your case.

Please also note that the Valuation Tribunal cannot assist you in the following matters:

Complaints about the council or Valuation Office Agency

  • These organisations will have their own complaints procedures, which you should follow before contacting the relevant Ombudsman.

Lease/rent disputes

  • If you are in dispute with your landlord regarding your rent, or wish to obtain advice about extending your lease or purchasing the freehold on your property the Property Chamber – Residential Property may be able to help.

Housing benefit

  • If you have any kind of housing benefit dispute you should contact the council who will provide advice and more information about appealing. Sometimes you may have a housing benefit dispute and also a council tax reduction (support) dispute based on the same reasons, however you can only appeal the council tax reduction issue with us.

Paying your council tax or rates bill

  • We are not involved with the collection of rates or council tax. If you wish to discuss paying these bills, or you are experiencing financial hardship, you should contact the council, who can provide advice and discuss payment methods with you.

Parking penalty

  • If you have received a penalty notice relating to parking you need to contact the authority that issued the notice.

Property compensation

  • You should first raise any issues with the organisation concerned.
  • Further advice might be available from the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber) which deals with appeals about such matters as ‘planning blight’.


We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. The use of cookies on our website is to analyse its performance within Google Analytics. For further details please read our Privacy Notice page.